Saturday 22 February 2014

Honda CRF 250L


It is quite long waiting for this bike. I think, the CRF 250L kept in Boon Siew’s store almost a year. Getting popular after served with Bond – Skyfall, the CRF 250L started capturing target segment’s eyes.

After a few times frustrated to get this bike until the day promised, keenly I headed to Boon Siew Honda Kepong branch. Completed all the documentation procedures, I checked the bike and there are a lot of scratches on some parts of the motorcycle.


CRF250L equipped with 21-inch rim at the front and 18-inch at rear. Sitting on it, riding position is comfort but not as I expected. I hope the handlebars would be wider. The suspension is too soft as I sat on it, the bike lowered down. But, from the positive side, this machine is quite suitable for the Asian and for the beginner. However, I like the wide and comfort seat. A very nice, simple digital instrumentation equipped with fuel indicators. From overall design, quality can be seen in terms body structure.


At the beginning of rides, CRF250 has a good engine response. The single cylinder was also used to the CBR250R. Coupled with six-speed gear box and it easily to handle with clutch provided. Although the performance not as sweet as the two-stroke engine, CRF250L could run smoothly without any jerking or tweaked power distribution.


Through the highway, I had to be extra careful with the wind. Sometimes I feel the rear of the bike swaying in a speed between 110 to 120 km/h.  Test this bike on soft sandy beaches, power from the engine is quite satisfactory, but may be a little exaggeration if I say this bike is too heavy to be used across the soft sand. I figured, it was built more likely to be used on normal roads.


Overall, handling CRF250L is good as it had telescopic front fork 43 mm. The fork is very soft and seemed to absorb all kinds of obstacles on the road. I'm happy to say, this bike is suitable for use on Malaysian road as there a lot if uncertain structure and uneven road surface. For me, the softness of the suspension system may be an advantageous to the jungle trekking enthusiasts. However, for extreme activities in dirt -track, the suspension system must be hardened for optimum handling.



Four-stroke engine with 250cc capacity probably may not the preferred choice to the extreme sports riders. Like me, I much more prefer a more powerful, aggressive engine and lighter body structure to achieve the required limit. Excellent on the fuel consumption, fuelling 7.7 litres petrol allowed me to travel almost 170 kilometres. Overall, I prefer to use the Honda CRF250L on normal road rather than off-road route. It was selling at RM22,688 and comes with a red color only.

MMW Rating:
Performance: 7/10
Handling: 7/10
Comfort: 8/10
Design: 8/10
Features: 7/10
Fuel Consumption: 8/10
Value: 7/10

Specification Honda CRF250L
Engine: 249.6cc four-stroke single-cylinder liquid-cooled DOHC
Transmission: 6 -speed
Power: 22.8 hp @ 8500 rpm
Torque: 22 Nm @ 7000 rpm
Suspension: Telescopic 43mm (front), 40mm Pro-Link (rear)
Price: RM22688.00









0 comments:

Post a Comment

Categories